My Photo
Name:
Location: Tracy, California, United States

I live an insect life. I detest pop culture and mock it relentlessly. I have a sense of humor, but mostly find myself laughed at rather than laughed with... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Friedrich's Unwanted Legacy

The lion, once camel, became a child thus:
The coachman's whip descended
upon the wearied horse
like a brownshirt's truncheon.
Friedrich vaulted upon the fallen beast.
A blanket he became to the tormented,
crying, "Basta! Basta!"
as his friends removed him
from a carcass he could not save.

Silent, staring, dressed in white,
a color common of converts,
he watched aloof his sister's spell
as she weaved a caveat into a cult;
an iconoclast, an icon.

And now a history awake
still pines to shake
the lingering nightmare
of a still echoing Kristallnacht.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home